Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Monday, January 9, 2012

The best pizza ever!

So Naples is off our list of places to visit after some deliberation. We read in various reviews that the place is still filthy and the garbage problem is still not taken care of. But fate would have it that we land up in Naples for our connecting train to Sorrento on a day of strike and we were stranded there for a few hours. So we decided to make use of the time as effectively as possible. 
After dumping the luggage in lockers we decided to go in search of pizza. Our guidebook suggested Pizzeria Sorbillo Antonio E Gigi as the top one. We decided we didn't want anything lesser than the top one. We found the place in the map and started walking. It was a pretty long walk from the railway station and after asking 18 people for the way, we ended up in front of the place. We were tired after the long walk. The place was densely packed, with a lot of youngsters making merry over pizza and beer. 
Live band inside Gigi Sorbillo
Eating out with 2 vegetarians and one pseudo non-vegetarian is painful. I decided to order a pepperoni pizza. That means I have to eat the whole pizza. Once we started eating I realised, the whole walk, the wait and the ordering of the whole pizza was indeed worth it. I not only enjoyed the pizza (look at the size of it), I enjoyed even the last bite, though I knew I was eating more than double the amount of food I usually eat. I told my friends that it was the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life and I had to tell this to the chef. So while walking out we watched the handsome duo in action. One stretched the dough, made the base, filled the sauce, toppings and cheese. The other moved each of the prepared pizza into the wood oven and out of it. They posed for us and with us and I also told them that it is the best ever pizza I have had in my life. I could not have been the first one to tell them that, but that made them happy still. 


I did the walk back to the railway station in a dream and promised myself that I am going to come back to Naples to eat pizza again. So if you ever end up in Naples you know what to do. We indeed saw garbage piled up sky high on the streets of Naples. But when you can eat the best pizza ever in the world, you forgive and forget.
Here is the address:
Antonio e Gigi Sorbillo
Via Tribunal, 38 Napoli,
80138 Italy

13 comments :

  1. Swagata :)
    Burhan, Deepak: really yummy. I wish I had a pic of the pizza itself. But I was too busy digging in to take a pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I want to eat there! These days am so high on pizzaz...And, I love Pizza Express...They serve a big pizza and I can eat whole pizza. The good thing is they use less dough :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chintan, Sorbillo pizza also is with less dough. Since you love pizza, if you ever ever find yourself in Naples or for that matter anywhere in Italy, you should eat the pizza there :)

      Delete
  3. WOW! Mouth-watering! I love the thin crust authentic pizzas :)

    Love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete